Make the famous Pizza Express Margherita at home!
Fri 24 April 2020
Looking for something to make at home!?
Well our friends at Pizza Express have shared their secret recipe to make the famous Margherita Pizza from home!
-150ml warm water (roughly 27 degrees)
– 15g fresh yeast or 2 level tsp of dry yeast
– 225g of plain flour (plus extra for working)
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil & a little for drizzling
– 80g of PizzaExpress passata
(or any tomato passata you have)
– 70g mozzarella (or any cheese you have)
– 1 Basil leaf (if you have one)
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C.
2. Add the sugar and crumble the fresh yeast
3. Allow the mixture to stand for 10-15 minutes in a
warm place (we find a windowsill on a sunny day works best) until froth develops on the surface.
4. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
5. Lightly flour your hands, and slowly mix the ingredients together until they bind.
6. Generously dust your surface with flour.
7. Throw down the dough and begin kneading for 10 minutes until smooth, silky and soft.
8. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film or a towel. Leave to rest until soft to the touch, but not too springy –
9. On a well floured surface, evenly roll each piece with a rolling pin to make a round, thin pizza base.
10. Place on a lightly oiled, non-stick baking tray (we used a round one, but any shape will do!)
11. Spread the passata on top making sure you almost go to the edge.
12. Evenly place the mozzarella (or other cheese) on top and season with the oregano and black pepper then drizzle with
13. Cook in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes until the cheese slightly colours. When ready, place the basil leaf on top if you have one.
Share with them by tagging PizzaExpress
Subscribe to our email list
Be the first to hear about the latest news, events and special offers in and around Merchant Square
By ticking the box you are agreeing to us sending you e-mail marketing communications to keep you updated on all things Merchant Square.
We will never pass your details on to Third Parties.